Islamic Association of North Texas
Richardson, United States
The Islamic Association of North Texas (IANT) was established in the early 1970s by a group of Muslim residents who met weekly to offer prayers in various houses in rotation. After they formally established the IANT, the group purchased a series of houses in Grand Prairie, TX to offer prayers and services to the larger Dallas/Fort Worth community. In the 1980s, the IANT purchased land in Richardson and constructed the Dallas Central Mosque. According to Omar Khalidi, it was constructed between 1982-1984. In the 1990s, a large expansion was added onto the original masjid building.

The original mosque building is square in plan, with a tan and brown concrete exterior with large areas of windows. There is a minaret at the southern corner of the mosque, and a copper dome. The later expansion is joined to the northwestern facade of the mosque, and features a larger ribbed copper dome over its entrance. The space includes a prayer hall, offices, classrooms, a multi-purpose hall, gymnasium, and a medical clinic.

Source:

The Pluralism Project at Harvard University. "Islamic Association of North Texas Dallas Central Mosque." 2003, accessed April 21, 2015. http://www.pluralism.org/profiles/view/70352.

Location
840 Abrams Rd, Richardson, United States
Images & Videos
Associated Collections
Events
1982-1984/1402-1404 AH
Variant Names
Islamic Association of North Texas
Dallas Central Mosque
Alternate
IANT
Abbreviated
Building Usages
community center
public/cultural
mosque
religious
Keywords
purpose-built mosques