This church was built in 1872 by Dominican monks. The clock tower was a gift of Eugénie, empress of France and consort of Napoleon III, as a symbol of appreciation for the work of the priests during the typhoid epidemic of 1879. The church also features two domed cupolas.
In 2008 the clock tower was badly damaged by an explosion near the church. In 2015/1436 AH the tower was completely destroyed. The current status of the church is unclear. It is reported to be among the 45 Christian institutions "destroyed, occupied, converted to mosques, converted to ISIS headquarters or shuttered" since Mosul came under the control of militants in June 2014/1435 AH1.
1 Orthodox Christian News. "All 45 Christian Institutions in Mosul Destroyed or Occupied By ISIS."
Bernas, Anne. "Un Trésor De L’humanité Sauvé Des Mains Du Groupe Etat Islamique - Hebdo - RFI." RFI. May 22, 2015. Accessed January 14, 2016. https://perma.cc/DR5H-UK7G
Dalmais, Irénée-Henri., O.P. "800 Ans De Présence Dominicaine En Orient." Oeuvre D'Orient
, no. 774 (2014): 10-16. Accessed January 14, 2016. https://perma.cc/49SX-R8HR
"Historic Mosul Clock Whose Ticking Could Be Heard 15 Km Away, Silenced Forever." Niqash. September 24, 2015. Accessed January 14, 2016. https://perma.cc/2TPQ-TBCT
Orthodox Christian News. "All 45 Christian Institutions in Mosul Destroyed or Occupied By ISIS." Orthodox Christian Network
. July 30, 2014. Accessed January 14, 2016. https://perma.cc/MD4D-AFG9