The National Museum in Aleppo is a primary repository for
artifacts from Aleppo and its surrounding Province. The collection, which
ranges from Ancient Near Eastern to Modern, was originally housed in a
historic Ottoman residence known as Bayt al-Ajiqbash within the old city of
Aleppo from 1931-1967, as the collection had outgrown the building and a modern facility was needed. The current building, situated in a park to the west of Bab al-Faraj,
was designed by Croatian architects Vjenceslav Richter and Zdravko Bregovac. It
consists of a large square, two-story structure centered around a courtyard. Construction ended in 1972.
The museum suffered damage and looting during the Syrian
Syrian Directorate General of Museums and Antiquities. Matḥaf al-Waṭanī bi-Ḥalab. http://www.dgam.gov.sy [Accessed February 16, 2018].