The summer residence of Dey Mustapha Khodjet El-Kheil (1748-1754/1161-1167 AH) and Dey Hussein Pacha (1818-1830/1233-1255), it was occupied by the French Army in 1830. It then served as the residence of the governeur général.
The palace was renovated and expanded in 1846, but the most significant renovation came in 1916 when Gabriel Darbéda and Charles Montaland. It was renamed Palais du Peuple (The People's Palace) after independence, and now serves as a locale for governmental and cultural functions.
Cohen, Jean-Louis, Nabila Oulebsir, Youcef Kanoun, and Dominique Delaunay. Alger: paysage urbain et architecture 1800-2000. Paris: Editions de L'Imprimeur, 2002.
"Palais du Peuple, ex-Palais d'été." Alger. Architectures 19e et 20e siècles. Accessed May 02, 2017. http://mutualheritage-alger.univ-tours.fr/items/show/97.