Jami' al-Sharaf
Halab, Syria

The Sharaf Mosque is located on the square known as Sahat al-Hatab in the center of the Jdeideh (Jadida) neighborhood north of the historic city walls of Aleppo. Its exact date of construction is not known, but a gravestone dated to 1393/795-796 AH in the garden of the mosque provides a terminus ante quem in the late fourteenth century.1 The mosque was restored during the reign of Mamluk sultan Qansuh al-Ghuri (r. 1500-1516/906-922 AH, as indicated by an inscription naming him, no longer in situ, and a blazon belonging to the governor Ha’irbak min Malbay (r. after 1504/910 AH).2 

The mosque has an octagonal minaret that rises from a platform adjacent to the arched entryway. A fountain (qastal) dated by an inscription to 1491/897 AH abuts the front of the mosque on the side facing the square.

Notes:

  1. Gaube and Wirth, 394.
  2. Meinicke, 454.

Sources:

Gaube, Heins, and Eugin Wirth. Aleppo: Historische und geographische Beiträge zur buulichen Gestaltung, zur sozialen Organisation und zur wirtschaftlichen Dynamik einer vorderasiatischen Fernhandelsmetropole, 394, no. 457. Wiesbaden: Dr. Ludwig Reichert, 1984.

Herzfeld, Ernst. Matériaux pour un corpus inscriptionum arabicarum. Part 2: Syrie du nord. Inscriptions et monuments d’Alep, vol. 1, pt. 2, pages 396–97. 2 vols. in 3 parts. Cairo: Institut Français d’archéologie orientale, 1954-1956.

Meinecke, Michael. Die Mamlukische Architektur in Ägypten und Syrien (658/1250 Bis 923/1517), 2: 283, 25B/21 and 2: 454, 47/23. 2 vols. Glückstadt: J. J. Augustin, 1992.



Location
Sahat al-Hatab, Halab, Syria
Images & Videos
Associated Names
Events
1500-1516/906-922 AH (restored)
before 1396/795-796 AH (construction)
Style Periods
1250-1517
Variant Names
Jami' al-Sharaf
Sharaf Mosque
Translated
جامع الشرف
Original