Mosquée El Safir
Algiers, Algeria
This mosque was built in 1534. It bore the name of a slave converted to Islam Safar bin Abdullah, then, the name Safar became Safir. In 1826-27 (1242), the last Dey of Algiers, Hussein Pasha had it rebuilt.
Architecturally, the prayer hall has a cruciform plan with a large central culminating dome, sharing the same principle as other Ottoman mosques of Algiers, namely: Jami' Ali Bitshin, Jami' Ketchaoua, and Jami' al-Jadid.
The minaret has an octagonal base and is located at the south corner, adjacent to the qibla wall.

Location
At the top of rue Kleber, Casbah, Algiers, Algeria
Images & Videos
Associated Names
Events
1534/941 AH
Style Periods
1299-1922
Variant Names
Mosquée El Safir
السفير
Original
Safir Mosque
Translated
جامع سفير
Original
el Safir
Transliterated
Building Usages
mosque
religious