Buza'a (also spelled Biza'a and Bza'a) is a small town in the hinterland of Aleppo, approximately 40 kilometers northeast of the city. It has a long history, having been a Byzantine settlement which fell to the Muslim armies in the year 12 AH. The mosque is thought to have been first founded during the reign of 'Umar ibn al-Khattab (r. 634-644/13-23 AH). An inscription on its minaret indicates that this structure was rebuilt under the Mamluks in 1355-1356/756 AH. The mosque has been renovated numerous times since then.
The mosque consists of an open courtyard and a prayer hall on its south side. The prayer hall has an older part (close to the qibla) and a newer annex, built into what was once the courtyard. The older part of the prayer hall has a lower ceiling, supported by squat pillars. Eighteen small domes cover the central bays.
The minaret of the mosque is a square tower situated in the northwestern corner of complex, along the street side of the courtyard.
Meinecke, Michael. Die Mamlukische Architektur in Ägypten Und Syrien (658/1250 Bis 923/1517), 2:223 (Cat. 19B/7). 2 vols. Glückstadt: J. J. Augustin, 1992.
الجامع الكبير في بزاعة بريف حلب من اهم معالم العهد الراشدي. عنب بلدي, 15 شبط 2019