This octagonal brick building is built in a Byzantine Revival style, with a chimney modeled after an Ottoman style minaret so as to preserve the aesthetic. The community that currently uses the facility was formed by the merger of the cities oldest Jewish communities. The first Jewish settlers in the city organized Kehilath Anshe Maariv (KAM) in 1847. The Isaiah Israel Congregation, builders of the synagogue, was founded in 1852. The two merged in 1971.