Al-Bahr Mosque
Saida, Lebanon

The Al-Bahr Mosque was built in 1373 AD or 775 AH, and was the first to be constructed on the city’s seafront, hence its name ‘The Sea Mosque’. A series of granite columns from the Roman period were incorporated into the mosque’s structure during its construction. The initial construction was financed by Hassan bin Sawah, and was later embellished and expanded by Ali Agha Hammoud as part of a donation to the Waqf that included the construction of an attached Qur’an school. The mosque had the city’s tallest minaret until the construction of the Hariri Mosque in 2003 at the northern entrance of the city. 

Location
Al-Corniche; Al Madina al-'Atiqa, Saida, Lebanon
Events
Built by Hassan Ibn Sawah
Expanded and Embellished by Ali Agha Hammoud
Restored Through a Joint Effort by the Hariri Foundation and UNDP
Style Periods
1299-1922
1250-1517
Variant Names
Al-Bahr Mosque
Alternate
Jami' al-Bahr
Transliterated
The Sea Mosque
Translated
جامع البحر
Original
Building Usages
mosque
religious
learning center
religious
islamic centre
religious