Bab el Saray Mosque
Saida, Lebanon

The Bab el Saray Mosque is Saida’s oldest and is located on the old city’s main plaza and outdoor congregational square, Bab el Saray. It was built in 1202 by Sheikh Abu Al-Yaman bin Abi Ishaq bin Ibrahim and was formerly known as Jami’ al-Mouhtasseb. The mosque is comprised of a large square hall underneath the main dome, and an archaded entrance on its southern side. Over the last 800 years, the mosque was expanded several times, first with an extension to the main prayer room to the east, and a later addition of another room to the north. The entry portal was also expanded, and adjusted to open towards the square on the west. The mosque’s structure is reuses stones from a series of large Roman and Cannanite temples that once stood in its place. Although modest in size, the mosque is one of the most important social buildings in the city. The portion of Bab el-Saray square adjacent to the mosque hosts a small fruit garden with Orange and Jasmine trees native to the Sidonian agricultural plains. 

Location
Bab al Saray; the Old City , Saida, Lebanon
Events
Built by Sheikh Abu Al-Yaman bin Abi Ishaq bin Ibrahim
Expanded during the reign of Emir Fakhreddine II
Renovated by the Hariri Foundation and UNDP
Style Periods
1250-1517
1299-1922
Variant Names
Bab el Saray Mosque
Vernacular
Jami' Bab al-Saray
Transliterated
Jami' al-Mouhtasseb
Transliterated
Al-Mouhtasseb Mosque
Translated
جامع باب السراي
Vernacular
Building Usages
mosque
religious
learning center
religious
islamic centre
religious