The Maison Du Maroc is part of the Cité internationale universitaire de Paris, opened in October 1953. It was constructed with funding from Mohammed V, King of Morocco, who financed the first edifice, and Jean Walter, who had made his from the mining company he owned in Zellidja, south of Oujda in eastern Morocco, who financed the second wing. Walter also went on to be an architect in his own right. Renovations made in 1982 by Andre Paccard added the patio to the building. Further renovations were made in 1992, 2002, and 2008, overseen by Moroccan architect Mohammed Fikri Benabdallah.
Originally the first wing of the residence had 161 rooms for student housing; the second wing had 48 The second wave of renovations created 53 studio flats with kitchenettes and bathrooms in the second wing. In addition to lodging, the Maison du Maroc has a library and space for cultural activities.
Fondation Maison Du Maroc – Hébergement Et Rayonnement Culturel. (n.d.). Retrieved November 29, 2020, from http://www.fondationmaisondumaroc.org/ Archived at https://perma.cc/6S4Q-CMQN.
History | Maison Du Maroc. (n.d.). Cite Internationale Universitaire De Paris. Retrieved November 29, 2020, from https://www.ciup.fr/maison-du-maroc/en/history/. Archived at https://perma.cc/W4HD-FLYK.
Maison Du Maroc | Découvrez L’une Des 40 Maisons De La Cité Internationale Universitaire De Paris. (n.d.). Cité Internationale Universitaire De Paris. Retrieved November 29, 2020, from https://www.ciup.fr/maison-du-maroc/en/. Archived at https://perma.cc/5N2W-J9PX.