The construction of al-Dja‘fariyya (La Aljafería) began during the reigns of al-Muqtadir Billah (ca. 1049–1082) and Ahmad al-Musta‘in II (1085–1110). The current Patio de Santa Isabel is the result of several transformations carried out between the Middle Ages and the twentieth century, including the original Muslim garden, which was built in the taifa period. It is possible that the garden underwent great change in the fourteenth century during the reign of Pedro IV of Aragón (1336–1387), as its layout partly follows that of the Patio de las Doncellas in the Alcázar of Seville. The palace was transformed into a fortress under Phillip II (1556–1598).
Source: Archaeological Analysis, 1954–1998
-Antonio Almagro, Luis Ramón-Laca
La Aljafería (Open in Zotero)
La arquitectura de la Aljafería: Estudio histórico documental (Open in Zotero)
Originally published at:Almagro, Antonio, and Luis Ramón-Laca. “Aljafería.” Middle East Garden Traditions. Dumbarton Oaks, November 18, 2014. https://www.doaks.org/resources/middle-east-garden-traditions/catalogue#b_start=0&c6=Andalusian++Gardens. Archived at: https://perma.cc/J8KF-DV5P