Istanbul Bilgi University Faculty of Architecture
İstanbul, Turkey

On a prestigious site at the tip of the Bosporus, an Ottoman power station was built in 1910 and functioned until 1986 when it was abandoned; the site and facility was acquired for a university campus. The two boiler rooms and supporting structures are heritage-listed, so the original steel structure with brick infill was restored following high standards. The interiors were renovated to accommodate a school of architecture and a library for 800 students, and a new steel skeleton was introduced to create the interior floors of studios, workshops, and exhibition spaces. The original structure, and all of the new structural, mechanical, and electrical elements, and special soundproofing materials, are left exposed as teaching demonstrations.


Source: Aga Khan Trust for Culture

Location
İstanbul, Turkey
Images & Videos
Associated Names
Events
Completed 2014
Dimensions
7,800 m²
Variant Names
Istanbul Bilgi University Faculty of Architecture
Original
Building Usages
higher education facility
educational
Adaptive Re-use
Adaptive Re-use
Restoration
area conservation
Keywords
Aga Khan Award for Architecture