This building lies between the Mosque of Khayrbak
and the Mosque of Aqsunqur
, with the ruins of the Rab' of Ibrahim Agha Mustahfizan opposite. These monuments, of which little survive except the perimeters, were built by Ibrahim Agha, a commander of the janissary Citadel guards, who intended perhaps to make them the center of a general restoration for the Darb al-Ahmar. His constructions in this area occurred from 1632 to 1657, and extended along both sides of the street for almost 250 meters. He also restored the mosque of Aqsunqur and is responsible for the blue tiles from which the building bears the nickname "the Blue Mosque."
A project to restore the house was initiated by the Aga Khan Trust for Culture in 2000, and the house was being used as a clinic as of 2008. The qa'a at the first level was destroyed in the early years of the 21st century.
Warner, Nicholas. The monuments of historic Cairo: a map and descriptive catalogue, 172. Cairo: American University in Cairo Press, 2005.
Williams, Caroline. Islamic monuments in Cairo : the practical guide, 85. Cairo: American University in Cairo Press, 2008.