The Gate of al-Mudarraj, one of the two original gates of the Citadel, was the main entrance to the enclosure from the city. It was built in 579/1183-1184 during the reign of Salah al-Din, probably under the direction of Salah al-Din's Amir, Qaraqush. Its name refers to steps carved in the rock path that leads from the horse market to the gate.
MacKenzie, Neil D. 1992. Ayyubid Cairo: A Topographical Study. (Cairo: AUC Press),p. 60.
Rabbat, Nasser O. 1989. The Citadel of Cairo. (Geneva: AKTC).