The building is a large, multi-purpose center comprising a 1,200 seat auditorium in addition to ten principal meeting rooms of varying size. A landscaped and partially paved park-like area surrounds the building. The project was completed in 1956 and required the removal of older buildings to clear the site along a main square. The building is a mixed structure of reinforced concrete with brick and stone load-bearing walls supporting steel roof trusses. Due to the theatre's monumental size, a reinforced, concrete grid frame and large span steel sheets were used.
Source: Aga Khan Trust for Culture