Qasr Al-Azraq
Azraq, Jordan

Located near the Azraq oasis on the modern highway to Iraq, Qasr al-Azraq is a large fortress built out of basalt stone. The present form of the castle probably dates back to the 13th century CE., but it is believed that a fortress has existed in this location since the Romans built one during the Diocletian era. 

The walls of the rooms surrounding the court are medieval, although the black stones are ancient. In the eighth century, the Umayyad crown prince Walid II used the ancient fort as a residence when he went hunting near the lake that once existed nearby, and he may have built the mosque in the center of the court. An Ayyubid inscription in the southern gate of the fort is dated to 1237 CE (634 AH), which is believed to be when the fortress took on its final form. 

It continued to be used, first by the Ottomans who stationed a garrison there, and later by T.E. Lawrence during the winter of 1917. The latest military users of the fort were the Druze in the 1930s.

Location
Azraq, Jordan
Images & Videos
Events
1237 construction
1237/634 AH
Style Periods
1169-1260
661-750
Dimensions
64000 m2, courtyard
Variant Names
Qasr Al-Azraq
Ruins at Azraq
Alternate
قصر الأزرق
Original
قلعة الأزرق
Alternate
Qala'a al-Azraq
Transliterated
Building Usages
castle
military
fortifications
military
Materials/Techniques
basalt
Keywords
archaeological sites