The Bayyada Mosque and Madrasa is located in the old city of Aleppo, northeast of the citadel in the quarter between Bab al-Hadid and Bab Ahmar known as Bayyada, from which it takes its name. Inscriptions above the main entrance attribute the mosque to the patronage of Nasir al-Din Muhammad al-Sarawi and date its construction to 1378/780 AH. The mosque also encompasses later additions.
The western facade of the mosque faces a paved street and features two elaborate arched portals. The northern portal is the smaller of the two. Both are recessed and covered by a pointed archway featuring decorative stonework. The larger, southern portal features a zig-zag stone frieze on its extrados and joggled ablaq stonework on its rear wall. The facade features several large windows set in shallow recessions terminating in decorative muqarnas cornices.
The building is irregularly shaped and features a central courtyard.
Gaube, Heins, and Eugin Wirth. Aleppo: Historische und geographische Beiträge zur baulichen Gestaltung, zur sozialen Organisation und zur wirtschaftlichen Dynamik einer vorderasiatischen Fernhandelsmetropole. Cat. 324. 2 vols. Wiesbaden: Dr. Ludwig Reichert, 1984.
Herzfeld, Ernst. Matériaux Pour Un Corpus Inscriptionum Arabicarum. Part 2: Syrie Du Nord. Inscriptions et Monuments d’Alep. Vol. 1, part 2, p. 349-350. 2 vols. in 3 parts vols. Cairo: Institut Français d’archéologie orientale, 1954.
Meinecke, Michael. Die Mamlukische Architektur in Ägypten Und Syrien (658/1250 Bis 923/1517). 2:260. 2 vols. Glückstadt: J. J. Augustin, 1992.
Sauvaget, Jean. “Inventaire Des Monuments Musulmans de La Ville d’Alep.” Revue Des Études Islamiques 5 (1931): 59–114. Cat. 45.
Link to entry in iDAI Gazetteer:
- 1/3/2020 (AKDC Staff): Data edited (date changed to 1378/780 AH based on cited sources; alternate names added); Short description and sources added.