The Italian Hospital is a complex of seven structures, dating from 1876. Its rehabilitation was based on a 'dialogue between old and new without compromising the inherent qualities of either'. According to a UIA report, the functionality of the hospital was improved by connecting the existing building volumes at various heights by means of slim, transparent footbridges, executed in glass and steel in contrast to the original masonry structures. The landings between the existing staircases served as a guide for dividing the floors in two at a height of around seven metres, creating more space for administration.
Source: Aga Khan Trust for Culture
Ground floor area: 2,675 m²; combined floor area: 7,225 m²; total site area: 6,175 m²