A post-war population influx from rural areas resulted in a design competition being held to replace the overcrowded school in Arbane with one which could accommodate 1200 students on a limited budget and site area. Classrooms are arranged around the perimeter of the building wrapping around an inner and outer courtyard on four sides. This layout maximises natural daylight throughout the building. Locating communal space centrally minimises noise and provides shelter from the elements. The energy-efficient reinforced concrete building is seismically designed. Low maintenance materials on the exterior contrast natural and rainbow coloured interior finishes and exposed timber trusses supporting the roof.
Source: Aga Khan Trust for Culture