Built in 1766, the Rajbada was the administrative and residential base of the Holkar dynasty. Largely destroyed by fire in 1984, it has been restored by the dynasty’s last ruler as a centre for visual and performing arts. The structure and materials match the original, but with concealed steel reinforcements added to conform to current seismic regulations. Electrical, security and announcement systems are also concealed. Recycled or locally produced bricks and stone were sourced, and seasoned wood reclaimed from buildings destroyed for a nearby dam scheme was used for cladding, doors and windows. The project allowed a revival of traditional Muslim craftsmanship, notably the intricate wood and stone carving.
Source: Aga Khan Trust for Culture