Forodhani Gardens
Zanzibar, Tanzania
The Forodhani Gardens are situated along the seafront in front of the Old Fort. The gardens were laid out in 1935-1936 to celebrate the Silver Jubilees of King George V and Sultan Khalifa. There is a bandstand in the center of the site, and a white concrete arabesque arch near the sea that was erected in 1956 for the visit of Princess Margaret.

The garden was called Jubilee Gardens until the 1964 Revolution. "Forodhani" means "customs," and the gardens are close to the original Zanzibar Customs House. The Aga Khan Historic Cities Program restored the gardens from 2002-2009. The original layout was retained, and upgrades such as a new seawall, cafes, a playground and plantings were added.

Sources:

Archnet. "Forodhani Park Rehabilitation." Accessed March 27, 2015. http://archnet.org/sites/6420.

McIntyre, Chris, and Susan McIntyre. Zanzibar, 186-187. Chalfont St. Peter: Bradt Travel Guides, 2013.
Location
Zanzibar, Tanzania
Images & Videos
Associated Names
Events
1935-1936
Variant Names
Forodhani Gardens
Forodhani Park
Variant
Jubilee Gardens
Formerly known as
Jamituri Gardens
Alternate
Building Usages
garden
landscape
park
landscape
Related Sites