Hisham Munir, founder and owner of Hisham Munir and Associates, is a prolific Iraqi architect. His firm won first prize in 14 of the 18 design competitions they entered, more than any other firm in Iraq. His projects include buildings for education, health, administrative, governmental, banking, hospitality, tourism, housing, and agriculture, among others.
In 1957 his firm partnered with The Architects Collaborative (TAC) to build parts of the massive campus of University City in Baghdad. The project was the first of many collaborations between Munir and Associates and TAC. Munir has also collaborated with British, Brazilian, Canadian,
Dutch, Italian and Swiss firms. Some of Munir's best known work includes the University of Mosul (1956), the Agricultural Complex (1975), the Iraqi Reinsurance Company in Baghdad (1976), and Sheraton Hotels in Baghdad and Basra (1981), and the Al-Sabah Complex in Kuwait (1976).
A respected academic, Hisham Munir received a B. Arch from the University of Texas at Austin and his
M.Arch. from University of Southern California in Los
Angeles. He has published numerous articles in Iraqi and international publications, and was one of the founders of the School of Architecture in the University of Baghdad, where he also taught and served as Dean.
The design concept of the monument was conceived by the late Iraqi architect Khalid Al Rahaal, and was carried out by architects Marcello D'Olivo(Italian) in collaboration with Hisham Munir and his office (Iraqi). The artificial hill is shaped like a low, truncated cone of 250m diameter. It is surrounded by slanting girders of triangular section that are covered with marble. Red granite, stepped platforms of elliptical form lead to the dome and cubic sculpture. The steel flagpole is entirely covered with Murano glass panels fixed on stainless steel arms and displaying the national flag colours. The cantilevered dome is 42m in diameter and follows an inclination of 12 degrees. It's external surface is cladded with copper, while its inner surface features a soffit finished with pyramidal modules alternating steel and copper. The promenade is covered by a semi-circular, flat roof supported on a triangular steel bracing. The roof is covered with a copper sheet and the soffit displays V-shapped panels of stainless steel and Murano glass.