Located on the Sabarmati River, Ahmadabad was founded in 1411/814 AH by the Muslim Sultan Ahmad Shah, the ruler of Gujarat. Newly proclaimed, the ruler felt vulnerable in the capital of Anahilvada-Patan, and moved his court to Ashaval, a Hindu settlement that supported him, and which he renamed Ahmadabad, after himself.
The new capital of Gujarat developed rapidly with the palace as the nucleus, encircled by a commercial districts. The Bhadra Fort represents the footprint of the original city. The nobility settled outside the city limit, forming their individual settlements. These settlements, known as puras, were named after their respective founders with the suffix of 'ganj' attached, like Nurganj or Muradganj.
Ahmadabad became a part of the Mughal Empire in 1572/980 AH under Emperor Akbar. In 1817/1232 AH, the British took over and the East India Company made it the military and administrative center of Gujarat. No longer the capital of Gujarat in post-Independence India, Ahmadabad is still a principal city with a thriving cotton industry earning it the title of 'Textile City'. Architecturally, the city boasts some of the most interesting examples of fifteenth century Gujarati style. The Jami Masjid and the Mausoleum of Ahmad Shah are an adaptation of indigenous Hindu and Jain architecture; the Siddi Saiyad's Mosque is famous for its exquisite yellow stone latticework, the Rani Sipri's mosque is an elegant dedication to Sultan Mahmud Begara's Hindu wife.
Modern Ahmadabad is spreading west of the Sabarmati River. This portion of the city plays host to the work of two famous architects, Le Corbusier and Louis Kahn. Sanskar Kendra, Mill Owners' Association building and the private residences of Sarabhai and Shodhan were designed by Le Corbusier, while the Indian Institute of Management (IIM) by Louis Kahn is one of the top college for business studies.
Davies, Philip. The Penguin Guide to the Monuments of India - Volume 2: Islamic, Rajput, European. London: The Penguin Group, 1989.
R.N. Mehta and Rasesh Jamindar. "Urban Context." In Ahmadabad, edited by George Michell and Snehal Shah, 1. Bombay: Marg Publications, 1998.
DK Eyewitness Travel Guides: India London: Dorling Kindersley Limited, 2002.
Imad al-Mulk Malik Isan Roza is a mosque-tomb in Isanpur, a suburb of Ahmedabad several miles southeast of the old city center. The complex was commissioned by Imad al-Mulk Malik Isan, a local nobleman, during the later years of Mahmud Shah Begra's reign (1458-1511/862-917 AH) or during the reign of his successor Muzaffar Shah II (1511-1526/917-932 AH).
The complex consists of a rectangular enclosure with a central courtyard bounded on the south, east, and north by a covered colonnade. The west side of the enclosure is occupied by a covered prayer hall. In the center of the courtyard is a pavilion tomb. The tomb comprises a central domed space surrounded by a square ambulatory. The central dome rests on twelve columns arranged in a square. The ambulatory is formed by the space between this inner colonnade and an outer colonnade of twenty columns, also arranged in a square. Small domes cover the ambulatory's corner bays.
The prayer hall consists of a hypostyle area 7 bays wide and four deep. On the prayer hall's facade (east side), a triple archway rises above the level of the side wings to give access to the hall's central three bays, which give onto a large domed space before the mihrab. The prayer hall is flanked on either side by domed square chambers that communicate between prayer hall and the colonnades on the north and south sides of the courtyard.