This project is significant because it is the first synagogue to have been built in Morocco for 60 years. Although the Jewish community is a fraction of its former size - 2,500 today as opposed to 300,000 in 1950 - a new sense of optimism has provided the impetus for this construction. In addition to a sanctuary, the synagogue contains a multipurpose hall. The structure is of reinforced concrete, with brick infill walls that are rendered and painted white. The architect pointedly observes that the recent additions of ironwork and decorative briquettes are not his work, and have nothing to do with the original concept.
Source: Aga Khan Trust for Culture
Ground floor area: 222 m²; combined floor area: 711 m²; total site area: 1,125 m²