This funduq is adjacent to Funduq al-Sbitriyyin and the ensemble is often referred to as a single structure, Funduq Shamma'in-Sbitriyyin. The first textual mention of the mosque is by the historian Al-Jaznā'ī who credits Abū Ya‘qūb Yūsuf with a restoration of an already existing Almoravid structure. At that time, it also became part of the habous (waqf) of the Qarawīyyīn Mosque, located directly to the east.
The structure as it now stands was severly damaged in two fires, the most recent of which occurred in 1974. Nonetheless, much of the rich decoration survived, including cedar lintels and corbels decorated with floral and vegetal motifs, as well as inscriptions from the Qur'an and other religious invocations.
The funduq was one of four that were rehabilitated between 2012 and 2016.
“Rehabilitation Of Four Caranvanserais.” Archnet.org. 2023. https://www.archnet.org/sites/21274.
“Qantara - Funduq Al-Shammâ‘în.” n.d. Qantara. Patrimoine Méditerranéen. Accessed May 17, 2023. https://www.qantara-med.org/public/show_document.php?do_id=1012&lang=fr. Archived at: https://perma.cc/TAH9-52U6.